Grain-Free Homemade Treats for Dogs with Allergies
Dogs prone to allergies, ear and skin infections should avoid wheat flour, grains, dairy (cow), bacon, peanut butter and other ingredients that can irritate allergies and fuel yeast or fungal infections. This hypoallergenic grain-free dog treat recipe includes helpful herbs and vegetables like kale, apple, ginger, cinnamon, garlic, basil and oregano.
If your dog suffers from allergies or yeasty ear and skin infections, the right diet is crucial to his health.
- Start with getting your dog on a whole foods, grain-free raw or cooked diet (organic, non-GMO whenever possible)
- Add immune-boosting probiotics through raw goat milk or kefir
- Supplement with herbs to support immunity and reduce allergic responses
- Replace commercial dog treats with these homemade grain-free biscuits that contain immune-boosting vegetables and yeast-fighting herbs.
Grain-Free Healing Ingredients
- Coconut and almond meal are used in combination with lower-carbohydrate sweet potatoes to avoid common allergens like wheat and other grains
- Kale, arugula, celery or spinach help fight the growth of yeast
- Apple contains quercetin, a natural anti-histamine that can help reduce itching related to allergic responses
- Ginger, cinnamon, garlic, basil and oregano help keep yeast, fungus and other microbes in check.
- If you have bone broth, use this instead of water in this recipe for extra nutrition and immune-boosting properties.
- Serve cookies with a splash of probiotic-rich fermented goat milk (or plain goat kefir) or a dollop of plain goat or coconut yoghurt for a healthier gut and immune system.
- Consider consulting with a Holistic Vet or Canine Herbalist to help reduce your dog’s allergies naturally.
- Check out more healing recipes and helpful tips here!
Homemade Coconut Sweet Potato Treats for Dogs with Allergies
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed (about 1 large) may substitute with pumpkin puree
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup filtered water or bone broth
- 1/4 cup fresh kale, diced may substitute with arugula, spinach or celery
- 1/2 cup apple, peeled and diced
- 1/8 tsp ginger, powdered or fresh
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon, powdered ceylon is preferred
- 1/8 tsp basil, dried
- 1/8 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond meal, coconut flour and dried herbs
- In a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin purée, egg, oil, minced garlic, diced kale (or other recommended vegetable) and 1/4 cup of the filtered water (or bone broth)
- Add wet to dry ingredients and stir well, adding a bit more liquid if mixture is too thick and crumbly to roll
- Work the mixture with your hands
- Roll dough into balls and flatten onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until firm
- Turn off oven but keep cookies in the closed oven as they are cooling (30-40 minutes)
- Remove cookies from oven and let cookies cool completely (about one hour)
Be kind to all living beings. Respect the earth we share.